Home > Biker Foren > Travel > The Dragon's Tail Letztes Thema Nächstes Thema
Wechseln zu:
The Dragon's Tail
Autor
Nur gültig
für eingeloggte Mitglieder
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Oct 26, 2005 17:16

Planning to rider the Dragon's Tail this weekend. For those that don't know, it's a stretch of US 129 in the NC/Tenn mountains with 318 curves in 11 miles.

Anyone done that?
Planning to rider the Dragon's Tail this weekend. For those that don't know, it's a stretch of US 129 in the NC/Tenn mountains with 318 curves in 11 miles.

Anyone done that?

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Aug 01, 2011 08:23

Come to West Virginia if you want real ridding. The Dragons Tail is nothing compared to it. We have 36,000 miles of highway and 18 straight streches! LOL

Give me a shout if you want to ride.

Nur gültig

Antworten / kommentieren      Zitieren      Missbrauch melden   Lesezeichen und Anteil
Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Fri, Jun 09, 2006 23:51

I've done the Tail several times. Always a blast and gives me a pretty high pucker factor. Both floorboards are pretty scarred from the scraping. But the ride up from Atlanta thru the North Georgia mountains is pretty damn good too. Just not as many turns in such a short distance. But plenty of turns nonethe less Anyone wanting to ride the Tail or N. Ga. give me shout. I'll be glad to ride with you if I can get away from work.

~Slim

Antworten / kommentieren      Zitieren      Missbrauch melden   Lesezeichen und Anteil
Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Sun, May 14, 2006 19:12

We hit the Tail last fall. Couple of buddies left some parts on the "Tree Of Shame". I did it on my sporty. I would love to do it on a crotch rocket!

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Apr 10, 2006 23:07

Two Wheel Inn
A motorcycle hotel
unable to sleep, here I type.
March 12, 2006

I rode the tail today. Two years of waiting, looking foraward to, actual dreams of this road.
Tearing up for the second time on this trip, I was about 5 miles from the
road - I knew it was dead ahead of me - here it comes.

I couldn't say anything for maybe 5 minutes after my first pass.
The expression on my first said everything so the other riders I bumped into at the gap just smiled right back: there are no right words anyway.

Seeing that first hairpin raised the hairs on my bare forearms. The first bump-scrape of my peg had me sitting
upright instantly.
Got stuck behind a car little later and peeled off at seeing "KILLBOY" lettered on the side of a car.

My second pass I scraped both pegs all the way around several curves. At KILLBOY corner I decided to try a photo
worthy stunt.
I dropped into what I thought was second to drop into the turn but I was already in second. Not having a slip-clutch, the rear locked up and gittered
me sides - with the front tireriding the white paint and rear sliding on the yellow.
True to my nature I looked back to see if anyone was watching and THEN gunned it into the turn to stay up right.

I lost my nerve 15 seconds later. To finish the run I started shouting at myself to "watch the god-**** line, Dave".
"This is third gear, I am in third, I will drop into second on that hash mark." "Watch the line, look a the line..."
and so it went for the last few miles.

My third pass I scraped both sides all the way around, played cat and mouse with a yelow rocket until seeing my break and shot up the road to get my front just ahead of him, shot him a smile and dropped back.
Again, I pullout at KIllboy
to thank him for his work and then jump back on the tail.
I caught the black car way to quickly. Three turns later there's my opening and I take it easily smoking him and
vanish into the turn.

This motorbike is not made for anything. Not a cornering bike, not a highway cruiser, not a bar hopper, not made for anything well.
I ruined both floor boards...but it was worth it.
This stretch of road just brought me back up to speed and taught me two new lessons about myself.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Fri, Jan 13, 2006 05:44

Been there, done that. One Awesome ride, even on a V-twin. Didn't take it as fast as the sport bikes, but still scraped the pegs 3 or 4 times. What a rush! I'm hoping to get to do it again this year......haven't made plans yet on what trips we might take when summer rolls around.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Dec 29, 2005 22:35

Hey Feeje: That is a low blow to Dana, He already had enough with losing his bike in addition to his broken hands.
In any event his doing better the hands are great and he his riding his Harley, until he recieves his 06 FJR.
Take care, see you in the next EOM
Here is a better picture of Dana

Nur gültig

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Dec 21, 2005 09:38

DoubleDelight write:
I am planning on riding it on my own bike this year. I will need to be in the middle of the pack though, or I might be flying separately from my bike.

I'll ride with you Sis....I'll either have my own or will knock Josh off the Virago!

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Sun, Dec 11, 2005 21:15

I am planning on riding it on my own bike this year. I will need to be in the middle of the pack though, or I might be flying separately from my bike.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Dec 07, 2005 14:04

Saw in the news where They are talking about turning the Tail into a Major roadway. If any is going to ride it they should get it done this year. If all the plans go through the Tail will cease to exsist in '07.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Mon, Nov 21, 2005 21:40

The Dragon ROCKS!! About 10 of us went last year and we had the best time ever!! We were all on sportbikes..and no one ended up on the tree of shame! As feeje said Charohola was awesome!! We all stayed at the little hotel at the bottom of the Dragon..if you love roads and travelin this is a must see!

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Fri, Nov 11, 2005 08:42

Thanks for the great pics, FeeJeR05

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Nov 09, 2005 07:05

another Note! make sure you don't Fixate or you'll just end up another statistic..even though there are rarely any fatalities on the Dragon it still has teeth and bites many on any given weekend

Nur gültig

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Nov 09, 2005 06:58

if you were on the Dragon check out "Killboy dot com" there should be pics of you riding you can get from them and are generally pretty good action shots.

Also anyone planning on spending time in the Deals Gap area I highly recommend checking out Cherohalah Skyway, Foothills Parkway, and Waahah (sp?)Road... all are must rides and are some great waterfalls to check out in the area too.

Nur gültig

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Tue, Nov 08, 2005 16:12

That sounds like such a blast!

Yummy.

Glad it was a great ride.

DD

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Thu, Nov 03, 2005 13:43

It was fantastic. There were about 100 bikes at the general store at the entrance of the Dragon's Tail. Saw one rider go down, but the EMS responded swiftly.

Learned a lot about my bike during the exercise, and it was definitely an adrenaline rush.

As a friend of mine said, "On this test, you have to score 100%!"

Just respect the road and respect the bike and you'll be fine.

Nur gültig
Veröffentlicht am Wed, Nov 02, 2005 18:13

Hey hardrock just had three friends that did it about 2 weeks ago and said it was fantastic. Hope you have a great time cause i am going to do it next year. Let me no what ya think of it

HC